Sunday, February 15, 2009

Garden report: 15 Feb. 09

Spring’s just around the corner. In the raised beds we’ve planted more Bloomsdale Long-Standing Spinach and Vivian Romaine. We’ve also planted a bunch of Evergreen Onions and Cherry Belle Radishes. In seed trays, which are warming in our small greenhouse, we planted the following varieties of lettuce, nightshades, and herbs: Vivian Romaine, Red Sails Lettuce, and Bibb Lettuce, Neon Lights Swiss Chard, Tah Tsai, Dark Opal Purple Basil, Bush Spicy Globe Basil, Common Thyme, German Chamomile, Sorrel, Rose Orach, Burpee Hybrid Eggplant, Sweet Banana Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Volcano Peppers. Chinese Giant Peppers, Taxi Tomatoes, Costoluto Genovese Tomatoes, Super Suncherry Hybrid Tomatoes, Lemon Boy Hybrid Tomatoes, Giant Tree Tomaoes, and Jetsonic Hybrid Tomatoes. I planted far more than usual. What I can’t use here at home I will be able to plant in the large garden at the nursery where I work.

Over the years I’ve had a hard time germinating and growing spinach. I haven’t had much luck directly planting into the ground nor with seed trays. I’ve tried several varieties. A few months ago I tried planting into a small crate filled with potting soil and compost. The crate is about two feet by three and about a foot and a half deep, with plenty of drainage all around. I just scattered the seed and turned under by hand . The seeds germinated with amazing success. I thinned the plants and began cutting leaves for dinner about a month ago. Recently I added to my garden several raised beds with potting soil and compost. Yesterday I planted a lot of spinach there. We’ll see what happens. Below are pictures of the spinach project.
Little Caeser Romaine

Various Lettuce in a raised bed

Bloomsdale Long-Standing Spinach

Spinach growing in a plastic crate

No comments: